- Download free market data from Stooq.com
- Alternatives for finding a stock on Stooq.com
- Searching for securities on Stooq.com by category
- Searching for equity on Stooq.com by equity name
- Download historical data
Download free market data from Stooq.com
Stooq.com is a Polish site with some parts translated to English. You can download market data for Polish, Japanese, Hungarian, German and USA stocks.
Alternatives for finding a stock on Stooq.com
Direct link is a link within Chartoasis.com that points directly at a free market data provider's subpage of a stock where you can start downloading market data.
Searching for securities on Stooq.com by category
Below table contains links pointing at categories on Stooq.com.
When searching for a security on Stooq.com by category do the following:
- Select the appropriate category's link and open it in a separate browser window.
- Within the category:
- The column "Pelna nazwa" contains the detailed names of the securities. You can find the wanted securities by this name (you may have turn some pages using the numbered links). When the securities is found, click the link in the "Symbol" column then proceed with "Download historical data" section. If the wanted security is not found try searching for it by the name of the stock.
Searching for equity on Stooq.com by equity name
Another way to find the the wanted equity is using Stooq.com's built-in search box.
- Visit http://stooq.com/.
- Enter (at least a part of) the name of the equity into the searchbox on the top of the page. If the name of the wanted equity pops up (like MCDONALDS CORP in the example), click on it or click "Kwotuj". Otherwise click "Kwotuj" to attempt searching for the equity.
- If you have entered (at least a part of) the name or ticker of an equity supported by Stooq.com your browser will jump to the equity's page. If the name is ambiguous or mispelled (or it is not a supported equity) a page like below will pop up to resolve ambiguity by offering equities supported by Stooq.com having name similar to the name you just entered.
- If you have found the page of the wanted equity proceed with "Download historical data" section.
- If you have not found the wanted equity this way try again with a different part of the name or try searching for it by category or direct link.
Download historical data
On the equity's page (see below) click "Dane historyczne".
- On the next page you can set up data to be downloaded.
- "Start Date" and "End Date" tells the time interval to download. (When changing this please think of how many data points you need for the analysis. Some indicators may be inaccurate when using too few data.)
- At "Interval" select (Daily) [weekly data is calculated by the chart software from the daily data, no need to download weekly resolution].
- "dividends" under "Skip" tells whether to download the market price or prices corrected with dividends. (This function does not have an effect in every case.)
- "splits" under "Skip" tells whether to download the market price or prices corrected with splits. (This function does not have an effect in every case.)
- Click "Download data in .csv file" at the bottom of the page to download data in a ".csv" file.
Hint: if you save the page where you have just downloaded data from to the "Favourites" or "Bookmarks" you do not have to do all the searching process again but you can navigate to the page of the data download directly by recalling it from the "Favourites" or "Bookmarks".