You can find examples of index charts made with Sesame here.
Step 1: Finding the index
As a first step the page of the index has to be located on Yahoo! Finance.
(Data can be downloaded from a website, similar to the one shown on the Figure below.)
A specific index can be searched and located based on its name or abbreviation (ticker).
- Visit the finance.yahoo.com site!
- Enter the name or ticker of the requested index in the search box! (e.g: NASDAQ Composite., or IXIC)
- Click on the requested index in the search results field! The page of the index is displayed.
- Continue with downloading data.
Step 2: Download Data
Step 2.1: Verification
For accuracy, verify the name and the currency of the index.
Step 2.2: Data downloader page
On the page of the index click on ?Historical Prices?.
A page similar to the one shown is displayed:
(It is practical to Bookmark the page for future use. Whenever up-to-date information is required on the index, it can easily be accessed from the bookmarks.)
Step 2.3: Downloading index data file
- By default you do not have to modify any settings
- Leave the radio-button on the top of the page set to ?Daily?.
- Modify dates only if the widest possible time range is not suitable for you.
- On the bottom of the page click "Download to Spreadsheet". Save the data file to your computer.
For saving data note the following:
- The file must be saved in .csv format (keep file-extension).
- The browser will offer the ?table.csv? filename as default. Rename the file describing its contents, or the name of the respective index.
- Depending on the given computer settings, it is possible, that instead of downloading, the index data file is automatically opened in MS Excel, or Open Office. In this case do not save the file from Excel or Open Office as .csv (the original file format is changed, when doing so). --
To avoid opening .csv files with other software, right-click the ?Download to Spreadsheet? URL, and:
- In Google Chrome select ?Save link As...?
Step 3: Data Downloaded: What's next?
To start analysis:
- Visit the Chartoasis Sesame site (www.chartoasis.com/sesame)!
- Load index data file using the button shown on the image below.