Step 1: Finding the currency pair
As a first step the page of the currency pair has to be located on Stooq.com. (It is a Polish site, but do not worry, not speaking Polish will not be a problem if you use this guide.)
(Data can be downloaded from a website, similar to the one shown on the Figure below.)
A specific currency pair can be searched and located based on its name like EUR/USD.
- Visit the Stooq.com site!
- Start typing the name of the currency pair in the search box! (e.g: EUR... for EUR/USD)
- Click on the name of the requested currency pair in the search results field when it shows up! The page of the currency pair is displayed.
- Continue with downloading data.
Step 2: Download Data
Step 2.1: Verification
For accuracy, verify the name and the unit of the forex pair:
Step 2.2: Data Downloader page
On the page of the forex pair click on ?Historical Data?.
A page similar to the one shown is displayed:
It is practical to Bookmark the page for future use. Whenever up-to-date information is required on the currency pair, it can be accessed from the bookmarks easily.
Step 2.3: Downloading currency / forex data
- By default you do not have to modify any settings:
- Leave the radio-button in the ?Interval? section set to ?Daily?.
- Modify dates only if the widest possible time range is not suitable for you.
- Leave everything unchecked in the ?Skip section?
- On the bottom of the page click ?Download data in csv file?.
- Save the data file to your computer.
For saving data note the following:
The file must be saved in .csv format (keep file-extension)
Depending on the given computer settings, it is possible, that instead of downloading, the forex data file is automatically opened in MS Excel, or Open Office. In this case do not save the file from Excel or Open Office as .csv (the original file format is changed, when doing so). Instead:
To avoid opening .csv files with other software, right-click the ?Download to Spreadsheet? URL, and:
- In Google Chrome select ?Save link As...?
Step 3: Data Downloaded: What's next?
To start analysis:
- Visit the Chartoasis Sesame site (www.chartoasis.com/sesame)!
- Load index data file using the button shown on the image below.